Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Finally on my own..

All the excitement that I had been holding on to for days, the day was finally coming to reality.. Though it did not start quite the way I thought it would but it definitely gave me goose bumps the way it ended or rather I should say the way it continued to date..

Though I was able to handle the 'last good bye to friends' scene at Nagpur pretty well but not the 'I miss you' scene at hyderabad very well.. With proper pre-planning I was able to contain myself at the bus stop and left with a smile on every one's faces..
And then in the bus, the thinking Swati came to life all of a sudden and started re-calling all the wonderful moments spent in Nagpur. The early tuition days when I used to run from one class to another, the most rocking four years of VNIT where every day was fun and every night was even more fun and last but not the least the PSL days which though short but had occupied the most significant part of my brain right then.. And strangely it was not the memories of these places that were haunting me but the people associated with these places that were coming back to me. Though most of the people were not even there in Nagpur then but had left their unending impressions on my memories at Nagpur and ultimately the most beautiful phase of my life..

My first step into Hyderabad and I was surrounded by auto waale bhaiyyas and in the typical nawabi tone one of them said "utte main naai aayega na, madam.." and I got the "Man, I am in Hyderabad" feel. Next I go home, paying 400 bucks to the chor auto waala combined with a nice farewell fight and that is when I decided not to use meter autos there after. I take my 4 heavy suitcases inside (man, I really do have a lot of clothes) and then fall down on the sofa to get some breath. And that is when the Hyderabad Times copy on the table caught my eye, that was the second realisation of "Man, I am in Hyderabad"! The day went well with me and my sis sharing the latest crucial updates on personal lives and utilising the last few hours of my freedom watching hangover and twilight. Finally, still not out of the twilight-feeling I went to sleep hoping for a new beginning to a lot many things. And then without alarm I woke up at 6.30 am when the chirping of birds was replaced by the kook-doo-koo of cock! And that was the third realisation of "Man, I am in Hyderabad".

Enough of that feeling, by now it is well ingrained in me. And considering, that for the first time I am relishing on the home made Sankranti sweets, I do not think anything else can intensify the feeling any further.

So speaking about the new city and the new job, there is so much to say..

Experience at Oracle:
1. Infrastructure is grand. From reception to conference room, from sports facilities to gym, even from roads to parking slots, everything is as one dreams of or must have seen on television.
2. Professional life is very well organised, less work hours, more work and a lot more responsibilities and as oracle says, every individual is a self managed team :)
3. The free pantry includes tea, coffee, soup, milk with sugar, milk without sugar, milk powder, dip tea sachets and even cold drinks!!! Haha..

Experience at Hyderabad:
1. Call it regionalism or chauvinism.. I do not care, but I love being surrounded by people talking in telugu, enjoy vicco advertisement in telugu at INOX, listen to telugu songs on radio and see wall posters of Telugu movies. I finally feel like I am at home!
2. The city might not be famous for night life or rather it might not have a night life as such but considering that I am from Nagpur and finally getting my independence I am able to enjoy a much better night life.
3. The first day I drove my vehicle back from station, I fell in love with one thing.. Yes, the roads in the city. No speed breakers, no pot holes, no bumps and no signals.. Just plain, wide roads with a fast moving traffic. So all you need to do is to raise it and keep a hand on breaks :) And the best part is the traffic cops here concentrate on regulating traffic rather than inflow of income!

A lot said and written, something that I cannot deny or try to over shadow by the excitement of my new life is the fact that I am missing my friends back home terribly. I am staying in a well furnished, posh guest house room. If I walk out of the door I have a CCD, a pizza hut and a KFC. And every time I look at these places, it makes me miss them even more. It is not that the people here are bad or difficult to get along with. But only time will help I guess. I am trying to accept this as a law of nature. Whenever I have moved further to the next phase of life, there has always been someone who makes me reconsider my decision and creates a strong impulsion of turning back even if that means turning back from success or progress. Then the thought "how important is professional success" peeps its ugly face and laughs on me. But unable to take any drastic steps, I prefer to go by the flow. I would rather regret for not having done something than for doing something wrong. And in the process I left behind my best friend while leaving junior college, another while leaving VNIT and another while leaving Persistent.. All I am looking forward to, is to find one such friend in Hyderabad.. The earlier I find that ray of light, the faster I will be able to get over this nostalgia..

14 comments:

Target70 said...

well... tht ws a real gud insight in2 wt exactly u felt bt being in "our" city!! ;D dr s lot more d city ll b unfolding on ya... so wishing ur search gets fruitful enuf n lukin 4ward 4 much more on ya blog!! :)

Mute Spectator said...

Nice article!

Captures the essence of the change you have gone through well - albeit in a very unconventional fashion.

I am sure after a long time from now when you read this article it will make you nostalgic all over again!

And that's when you will know, why this article is an absolute keep-sake!

Keep Writing!

swati nidiganti said...

:)
Thanks..

SSD said...

"The city might not be famous for night life or rather it might not have a night life as such but considering that I am from Nagpur and finally getting my independence I am able to enjoy a much better night life."

"And then without alarm I woke up at 6.30 am when the chirping of birds was replaced by the kook-doo-koo of cock! And that was the third realisation of "Man, I am in Hyderabad". "

Hahahaha! Kya Nagpur jungle hai kya?

swati nidiganti said...

:X
jungle nahi..
but jo bhi hai, hyderabad se toh gaya beeta hi hai.

And if you would have ever tried getting up at 6 in the morning in VNIT, you could have heard chirping of birds! :P

manik said...

I really got a feel of Hyderabad and its "wide roads"...

Very nicely written, I must say... It captures some of the very usual feelings of being in a new city and beginning a new life and still has a uniqueness and specificity of Hyderabad...

Keep writing! :)

Rohit said...

Good to read your posts (read all)! Ofcourse after judging your writing skills i dont dare to leave much comments :)

The way you have expressed your feelings is awesome.. no doubt you can be next Chetan Bhagat.. :) keep it up!!

And one more thing, nagpur ke liye jo comment mara (gaya beetha)..hmmm your nagpurian friends might not like that and will remember vividly always..

Must say as everybody has said.. very good & nicely written.. Keep Writing..

Pratham Dev said...

u can buy friends in hyd. Mr. Desai can guide u in this matter

APURWA DWIVEDI said...

nice blog..and apt title..what really impressed me was the connection u maintained in the entire essay and ur tone reflects the inner voice and determination of a modern lady..i never knew u too much but i know u this much that i have a lot of respect for what u have in ur mind for future and how good u r at managing urself, teaching urself in the process to look beyond..u shud be proud of this one..

swati nidiganti said...

Oh no.. Not in the literal sense.. I have spent the last four yrs of my college life trying to convince people that Nagpur is a great place to live peacefully! And I still miss it terribly..

Gaya beetha was for the industrial development.. You have seen High tech city, you will agree with me. There is no place in Nagpur matching the levels of development in Madhapur!

Anyways, I am sorry, no offence.. :)

swati nidiganti said...

Oh., thanks a lot apurwa.. It means a lot to me.

swati nidiganti said...

Hehe, let me tell you Dukker,
Firstly..
I am not earning as much as Mr.Desai.

And secondly,
I dont have such a big heart and hand to handle such people! :P

Unknown said...

nice article
your writing skill is not only good but also very good.
keep writing....All d best!

Neha said...

Ghantiiii...ekdum dil se likha hai tune ye blog..this is typically you..awesome as always!